Monday, April 15, 2013

#PrayforBoston



As I am required to keep up with the news this quarter, I have downloaded just about every news app possible - turning on alerts so I can stay informed on what's happening as it happens.

On my way to class this afternoon I go several alerts that said, "People are injured after two reported explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon." Once I got to class I checked Twitter to try to find out more about what was going on. It had only been about 5 minutes since I got the initial alert and already my timeline was FULL of tweets about the news. People sending prayers to those affected, news outlets tweeting updates on the situation, and many simply asking, "why?"

As class went on I continually refreshed my Twitter feed to stay updated. What started out as people injured, quickly escalated to 2 dead, and 28 injured. 2 bombs exploding later became 2 bombs exploded and 2 found that hand't exploded.

Among the many tweets with the hashtag #PrayforBoston, were tweets informing people close to where the tragedy took place where they could donate blood for the victims. It's amazing how quickly people can come together over social media during times like this.

Trying to find a positive in a tragedy such as what is currently taking place in Boston may seem impossible. However, I think I may have found one. Since running a marathon can be so grueling on the body and since the Boston Marathon is one of the most well known in the world, there were tons of police as well as medically trained people on the scene immediately after the explosion. This could have potentially saved a lot of lives today.

I pray that whoever planted these bombs is found and they get what they deserve. It is sad to think that there are people out there that would do something like this, but you have to remember for every 1 horrible person there are 100 good people - like the runners in the marathon that crossed the finish line after the explosions and continued to run to the nearest hospital to donate blood.


No comments:

Post a Comment